I’m sure some of you may have see this wonderful artwork of Daft Punk. A friend of mine, @icknaybob, the photo when it first appeared in 2017. Being a Daft Punk fan, I said to him, “We have to make it!!” So here’s my progress on how we made out 2017 Grammy’s version of Daft Punk within two weeks.
First step we took was to choose the right fabrics. When comparing fabrics, keep in mind how it will look in difference lighting and with flash photography.
Cutting the trim. I tried a couple different ways to do this. Ideally, it would have been great to have the whole trim to be embroidered. See that we only had two weeks to make this, I resorted to sketching out the design to size, converting that into a vector file, cut it on the Cricut cutter, and glued it onto the trim using iron-on adhesive. I also tried to cut the pattern out on the laser cutter, but the material partly melted. Not cool…
Sketching out the design Preparing material for cutting Cricut Cutter (left side) vs laser cut (right side) Test cut out of foam on the Cricut Cutter. First cut. Didn’t cut all the way through. Trial and error… + scraps. Finally dialed it in and successfully cutting on the Cricut. Lining each piece back to back. Trim backing Iron-on backing
Helmet & Painting. This was one of the hardest parts. We tried to truly chrome the helmets and hand plates but we kept getting bumps in the paint or the chrome plating didn’t stick dues to the residual chemicals. In the end, we resorted to using Spaz Stix paint.
Visor test fit Supplies Vacuum formed finger/hand plates Vacuum formed finger/hand plates Ear Cap Added layer of grey primer Added layer of grey primer Sanded and washed helmet for the black coat before the chrome Airbrushing black coat before the chrome Custom Button positive mold for silicone Custom Buttons – Mod Podge into silicone mold Custom Buttons – Mod Podge into silicone mold Resin cast pendants Resin cast pendants Resin cast pendants Finished gloves. Pieces added onto the inexpensive work glove from the hardware store. Painting overview
Final version completed for WonderCon 2017
Photographed by @FatManPhotography